- Just because someone is thin does not mean they are healthy and happy. In fact, some of my sickest and saddest clients have been the thinnest ones. This kind of thinking reminds me of a quote that is a great reminder to all of us in this age of social media:
- What you look like on the outside is not always a reflection of the internal battles that are happening on the inside. Things may look just “peachy” on someone’s Facebook page, but most of us have no idea what their lives actually look like in real life. Here’s another quote by Wendy Mass that is one of my absolute favorites:
- When you catch yourself being envious of someone else…STOP the negative thoughts and replace them with something you like and/or appreciate about them.
- When you find yourself comparing yourself to someone else…STOP the negative thoughts and replace them with something you are grateful for or that is going well in your life.
- If envy and comparison are a struggle for you, particularly with what you see or “hear” on social media, perhaps it’s time to consider setting limits on how often you check in with Facebook, Instagram etc.
Contrary to popular belief, YOU have control over your thoughts and what you CHOOSE to believe. You can change your thoughts and your focus to start appreciating the positives in yourself and others. I love that I can now truly celebrate someone else’s success, even if it is in an area that I am weak in, because I now recognize the voice of envy and comparison. When I hear it now, I don’t just sit there and listen to it. Instead, I fight back and tell that voice to beat it when it rears its ugly head! So the next time a toxic thought pops into your head, get rid of it right away and don’t let envy and comparison steal your health and joy!