Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry – Serves 8-10
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
6 pastured chicken breast halves, without skin (2 to 3 lbs) Resource: JenEhr Farm
1 T coconut oil
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1 c chicken broth
1 T mild yellow curry powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
Optional (for garnish): 2-3 T toasted flaked coconut or chopped scallions
1. Place the prepared sweet potatoes and onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Scatter the minced garlic over the top.
2. Heat 1 T coconut oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken breasts in two batches until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken breasts to a plate to drain.
3. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, chicken broth and curry powder until smooth. Whisk in the salt.
4. Place half the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables. Cover with half the sauce. Place remaining chicken and sauce in the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook covered on HIGH for one hour.
5. Turn heat to LOW and cook for another 4 to 4.5 hours. Do not remove the lid. Do not stir the ingredients while they cook.