Makes about 2 cups – 32 servings (1 T each)2 T poppy seeds
½ cup cane sugar ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
2 t dry mustard powder
2 t sea salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow onion, finely grated, juice reserved
1 cup olive oil
- Heat a 2-qt saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add poppy seeds and cook, swirling pan constantly until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and onion with juice.
- Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to simmer.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Add oil and blend until smooth. Chill.
- Bring dressing to room temperature prior to serving.