- 4 c tomato sauce
- Dry oregano and thyme to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 c onion, chopped
- ½ T of coconut oil or butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 c mushrooms sliced
- 2 1bs grass-fed ground beef
- 3 lbs zucchini and/or peeled eggplant, sliced thin, lengthwise
- 2 c ricotta cheese
- ½ c chopped fresh basil
- 4 c mozzarella cheese shredded or cut in thin slices
- 1 c parmesan, fresh grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Use the dry herbs and sea salt to season the tomato sauce in a large sauce pan.
- Sauté the onions until golden in coconut oil in a saucepan.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes on medium heat and add to sauce.
- Use same sauté pan to brown the meat. Drain well and add to the sauce.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with coconut oil.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant or zucchini in the bottom of the pan, closely laying the pieces side by side, as though they were lasagna noodles.
- Add a layer of the ricotta, and sprinkle on the basil.
- Add a layer of the cooked meat, mushrooms, a layer of sauce, and a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 7, 8, and 9 until everything is gone. Make the top layer parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain liquid after baking.
C = 14g P = 32g F = 24g Cals = 400