Since October 2009, I had lost about 15 pounds from working out regularly and eating what I thought was healthy and nutritious food. In September 2010, my sister and I stayed at the Biggest Loser Resort in Ivins, Utah for a week. The resort is similar in concept to the TV show – we worked out for 6-7 hours a day, were restricted to a 1200-calorie low-fat diet, and attended daily seminars on health and nutrition. While I didn’t have much weight to lose, I was looking forward to the challenge and wanted to learn all I could about health and nutrition.
After returning from the Biggest Loser Resort, I applied many of the things I learned: ate a low fat diet, used soy-based foods instead of real food, etc. I also continued working out in boot camp 3-4 times a week, and started running 5ks on the weekends. However, I still felt sluggish, looked and felt puffy, had digestive issues and bloating regularly, couldn’t seem to lose those last 5 pounds, and had a high body fat % no matter how much I worked out or ran. Additionally, I had been on the birth control pill for almost 20 years and suffered from PMS, painful and debilitating cramps, and mood swings every month. I was put on the pill when I was 17 due to irregular periods.
I met Tracie in February 2011 at a free seminar offered through work called Food Talk 101. I was fascinated with everything Tracie was saying about nutrition – from balancing meals and eating real food to her two simple rules: 1) If your great-grandma didn’t eat it and/or 2) you don’t know what an ingredient is = you shouldn’t eat it! The free 45-minute seminar was simply not enough, so I scheduled 8 individual sessions with Tracie a few weeks later.
Those 8 sessions with Tracie changed my life and completely changed the way I think about nutrition and food. Tracie introduced 2-3 simple changes each week, so it was not overwhelming and she truly set me up for success. Several of those changes have stuck with me and have now become a normal part of my life, including:
- Eating real food (grass-fed meat and eggs from cage-free, free-range chickens)
- Staying away from processed foods as much as possible
- Drinking 2% or whole milk, instead of skim
- Adding healthy fats to my diet, including coconut oil and real butter, instead of margarine
- Eating balanced meals and snacks consistently, meaning I always eat a carbohydrate, protein and fat together.
- Eating something within an hour of waking up to get my metabolism going
- Getting off the pill to cleanse my body of the Xenoestrogens and getting my hormones balanced naturally. Tracie helped me discover that my irregular periods were most likely caused by a hormone imbalance. The pill only helped to regulate my cycle, but did not resolve the root of the problem and was doing more harm than good, including increasing my body fat.
The result of these simple yet highly effective changes?
- I lost 6 pounds and I finally achieved my goal weight of 122 pounds!
- My body fat went down 3%
- My blood pressure went from being borderline high to 110 over 62, which is excellent!
- My triglycerides went down
- Increased energy
- I no longer look or feel puffy. In fact, many people will ask if I’ve lost a ton of weight because my face looks so thin.
- I rarely, if ever, have cravings due to eating balanced meals every 3-4 hours.
- My PMS symptoms have greatly improved. I usually don’t even know that I’m getting my period and my mood swings and cramps have improved each month. In fact, two cycles ago, I had no PMS, no cramps and no mood swings.
Tracie is an amazing person and top notch nutritional consultant! I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to meet her. The things I learned from Tracie are priceless and will benefit me for the rest of my life!
Kara Plautz Now, 37 years old