Italian Wedding Soup – Serves 8
For the Meat Balls
1 ¼ lb grass fed ground beef
2/3 cup fresh sourdough bread crumbs
2 cloves minced garlic
3 tbps fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbps milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper and
2 tbps Italian herb mix
For the Soup
2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
1 cup minced yellow onion
3 carrots, 1/4 inch dice
2 stalks celery, 1/4 inch dice
10 cups chicken or beef broth (homemade or ready-made low sodium you can also add extra gelatin if broth is not homemade)
1/2 cup dry white wine
12 oz baby spinach, washed and trimmed (optional)
1. Place the ground beef, garlic, parsley, cheese, bread/milk mixture, egg, and seasonings in a bowl and combine well.
2. Shape mixture into approximately 40 meatballs, placing them on the parchment lined sheet. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes.
3. As the meatballs bake, heat the butter/coconut oil over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot.
4. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil.
6. Add the meatballs and simmer 2 minutes.
8. Stir in the fresh spinach and cook 1 minute more, until the spinach is just wilted.
9. Serve with extra grated cheese.
Modified from: http://arlene-thefoodoflove.blogspot.com/2008/12/italian-wedding-soup-contessa-style.html