Ingredients and Equipment
Organic apples and/or pears washed, quartered and cored to get rid of seeds
Pure maple syrup or honey if desired
Large glass bowl
- Cut up as many apples or pears that you wish to use and put in a pot that has a cover.
- Fill up the pot about 1/3 to 1/2 with water.
- Simmer the apples or pears until they are very soft (for about a half hour). If the water gets too low, add more water.
- If there is too much water left in the pot with the fruit, drain it off. The goal is to have as little water as possible without burning the fruit.
- Put the fruit, a little at a time, through the food mill. Beautiful apple or pear sauce will come out.
- Return the apple or pear sauce to the pan.
- Add honey or maple syrup to taste and cook on low for a couple minutes.
- Cool and put in glass jars in the refrigerator or the freezer. If you plan to freeze the fruit sauce, leave plenty of room at the top of the jar to allow room for expansion.