Serves — 6
2 T butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
½ large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 t mild curry powder
3 cups chicken broth, divided
1½ cups canned pumpkin
6 T hydrolyzed gelatin, if not using homemade broth
¼ sea salt, plus more to taste
1 whole bay leaf
⅓ cup heavy cream
2 to 3 T honey or maple syrup
Sour cream (0ptional garnish)
Chives (optional garnish)
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium-sized soup pot. Add in the onion, celery and apple.
- Sauté for 8-10 minutes until the onion is clear, but not browned.
- Add in curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of chicken broth and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin then use an immersion blender or place soup in a traditional blender to combine thoroughly. Be sure to vent the top and cover with a kitchen towel if using a traditional blender to allow steam to escape. Place soup back in pot.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of broth, gelatin, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup. Taste the soup and add more honey/maple syrup or salt if needed.
- Simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and chives if desired, and serve.
C = 14g P = 7g F = 26g
310 calories per serving
(this is without garnish)
Adapted from: www.spoonful.com