1 whole roasting chicken
Sea salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 onion, chopped
2 T butter
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
9 cups chicken broth
6 T hydrolyzed gelatin, if not using Homemade Broth
6 cups cooked wild rice (2 cups dry, see below)
2 cups heavy cream
1 T garlic salt (or to taste)
2 T arrowroot powder (optional thickener)
*I made a huge batch of the recipe so that some can be frozen for later use.
- Season the roasting chicken with salt and pepper and place in a Crock-Pot on low overnight. Once cooled, remove the meat from the bone and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook wild rice as instructed below. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, cook onion in butter over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a large stock pot, add the 9 cups of broth and sprinkle gelatin over top. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked wild rice, chicken and sautéed vegetables.
- Stir in heavy cream. Bring to a low simmer and add garlic salt and additional salt and pepper if needed.
- If desired, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder over top to thicken, mixing well.
- Let simmer on stove for 30 minutes prior to serving.
C = 19g P =21g F = 16g Cals = 310
How to Cook Wild Rice
2 cups uncooked wild rice
6 cups water or broth
½ t sea salt
- In large sauce pan, combine wild rice, water/broth and sea salt; heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. You will know when the rice is done when it becomes tender and exposes its inner white color.
- You can store in a tightly sealed container for 2 weeks or freeze for longer period of time.