Serves — 4
1½ lb broccoli
1 T coconut oil
½ medium-sized yellow onion, diced
1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups chicken broth
4 T hydrolyzed gelatin, if not using homemade broth
Sea salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
½ t garlic salt
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (additional for garnish, if desired)
4 T sour cream (additional for garnish, if desired)
- Remove the florets from the broccoli. Cut half of the florets into 1-inch pieces and half into ¼-inch pieces. Set aside in 2 separate bowls.
- Take the stalk off the broccoli and using a vegetable peeler, remove the woody outer layer.
- Cut the stalk into 1-inch pieces and place them in the bowl with the 1-inch sized florets.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, broth, gelatin and the bowl with the 1-inch broccoli florets and stalks to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potato and broccoli pieces are easily pierced with a knife.
- Use an immersion blender or place soup in a traditional blender until smooth. Be sure to vent the top and cover with a kitchen towel if using a traditional blender to allow steam to escape. Place back in pot and return to medium-low heat.
- Add the remaining ¼-inch broccoli florets and simmer until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Season with garlic salt and additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with cheese and sour cream if desired, and serve.
C = 24g P = 22g F = 4.5g
220 calories per serving
(this is without garnish)
Kate’s daughter, Grace, trying the soup.
The result: kid-tested and approved!