Spring is finally here and the downtown Madison Farmer’s Market is up and running. It is time to get local and really know where your food comes from. I always tell people how awesome it is that we live in a place where we have access to so many wonderful farms and outdoor markets. The goal of this post is to highlight some of my favorite Madison resources and give you some links that will keep you in the know. If you are not in Madison make sure you check out Eat Wild for markets and farmers in your area.
- Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition lists Madison-area community-supported farms (CSAs) from whom you can purchase shares. That means that if you buy in you’ll get fresh produce / meats delivered regularly, in season.
- REAP (Research, Education, Action and Policy on food group) is a Madison-based organization that supports local whole foods. Their website includes all kinds of information including family farms, restaurants that serve food from local farmers, events, etc.
- Savor Wisconsin provides an excellent listing of the state’s farmers markets.
- Dane County Farmer’s Market, on the Capital Square every Saturday, in season, and on Martin Luther King Boulevard on Wednesdays. There are also winter and early spring markets with limited products available.
- Paoli Local Foods, a small shop in Paoli that sells Ruegsegger Meats as well as others, local produce and a variety of organic staples.
- Willy Street Cooperative, a good-sized cooperative on Williamson Street that sells organic foods, including some local produce, eggs and meats. A great resource for “clean” cottage cheese.
- Madison Sourdough sells fresh traditional sourdough in a variety of flavors daily. They just moved and opened a new shop on Willy Street that features breakfast and lunch options focusing on local ingredients. You can also get their breads at Whole Foods, Willy Street Coop or at the Dane County Farmer’s Market and the Westside Community Market.
Family Farms: Meats, dairy and eggs
- Back to the Best Farm, an organic dairy and farm store, located near Rubicon WI.
- Grazin’ Acres raw milk and farm store, located near Spring Green, WI. Contact them at 608-727-2904 or email@example.com.
- JenEhr Family Farm is based in Sun Prairie and produces over 50 fruits and vegetables. In addition to selling directly and at farmers markets, they also offer u-pick strawberries and pastured chickens and turkeys.
- Jordandal Farms, a small family farm in Argyle that produces grass-fed meats and potatoes.
- Sylvan Meadows Farm in Viroqua. They produce grass-fed beef, pork and sourdough breads.
- Keene Organics provides farm fresh eggs, pastured chicken, garlic and much more. Their eggs are available for sale at my office in Middleton.
- Trautman Family Farm, a small farm just north of Stoughton that sells grass-fed meats and dairy.
Please feel free to post your favorite link if I have not mentioned it above. Remember that with every dollar you spend you are voting for what types of food should be produced. Vote wisely.
Also make sure that you check out the kitchen item of the month…it is also a local product from WI.